USB3.0 connected LTO tape drives by UNITEX now available
Posted on 03-Dec-2014
Connexion Point is delighted to offer to the market the UNITEX range of USB3.0 connected LTO tape drives.
A world first
In a world first, UNITEX Corporation of Japan has combined the proven attributes and economies of LTO tape with the ease of USB connectivity with their range of desktop USB3.0 connected, IBM LTO, tape drives. This connectivity eliminates the need for additional SAS controllers, Thunderbolt/SAS converters or Thunderbolt enabled computers.
With both LTO5 and LTO6 versions fully compatible with LTFS (Linear Tape File System) it is now easier than ever to backup/archive/share data across multiple machines and platforms.
UNITEX LTO USB3.0 tape drives when utilised with LTFS provide for;
• the LTO tape to be presented as an extension of the operating system file structure so anyone can seamlessly manage files on LTO tape similar to the way they would manage any other USB connected storage device.
• familiar file access, copy, paste and drag and drop functionality.
• the seamless exchange of data across multiple machines and operating systems e.g. Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
A variety of applications
As well as supporting business by freeing up expensive disk storage through data archiving LTO/LTFS has particular relevance and benefit to the following industry specific challenges;
Media & Entertainment
The switch to digital recording and higher picture resolution within film and television has driven demand for more reliable, efficient and cost effective storage and archiving solutions.
• Cost-effective storage solution for large volumes of data
• Simple, highly flexible exchange and data transfer with service providers and other departments without being bound to specific hardware.
• Reliable storage for long-term archiving.
The increasing adoption of digital CCTV surveillance systems offering high definition, high capture rates combined with expected retention periods is driving up the cost of storage.
• Cost-effective, scalable solution for increasing primary site storage. Facilitates off-line, off-site archival storage
• Flexibility and mobility: Access to data is possible from different platforms
• Encryption and WORM protect data from unauthorized access and accidental deletion of records
The healthcare sector is collecting ever more patient data and holding it electronically. This includes X-rays, CT, MRI, MAMMO, Cardiology and other types of electronic patient imagery that is difficult to deduplicate on disk and therefore takes up a large amount of storage space.
• Reliable storage solution for large volumes of data
• Significant reduction of IT budgets
• Encryption and WORM facilitates a high level of security and data protection for sensitive information
Although the exact definition of “Big Data”’ varies, as a rule, the focus is on the challenges that arise for companies and organisations due to the constantly increasing flow of unstructured data. This data must continue to meet the technical, and any compliance, requirements in terms of availability, flexibility and data protection.
• Scalable network data storage solution that simply grows (by adding more tapes) with increasing data volumes.
• Meets integrity and compliance demands for archiving
• Significant cost advantages compared to disk-based storage solutions.
Select UNITEX LTO/LTFS Solutions for additional information.
Or contact us now for additional information on how UNITEX and Connexion Point can support your business needs.
Like what you've read? Get social & click the share buttons.